Country Walk Swim team returns: Sign up now! Official Registration Date: March 11, 2018, 3-5pm
After a 10-year absence, the beloved Country Walk swim team is splashing onto the scene again! The Country Walk “Torpedoes” have joined the West Georgia Summer Swim Association (WGSSA) and will compete against several West Cobb neighborhoods in summer 2018.
While official registration is two months away, nearly 50 children have already expressed interest in swimming for the CW Torpedoes. Children ages 5-18, as of May 31, 2018, are eligible. Children from CW will have priority placement, and additional children living outside the neighborhood will be permitted to sign up if needed to meet the WGSSA required minimum, which is 50. CW residents who have grandchildren may sign them up to participate.
Long time CW resident “Coach” Doug Michalke has agreed to return as Head Swim Coach. Shannon Foote has agreed to be team coordinator.
If you are interested in adding your child(ren) to the list of prospective swimmers, please fill out the form below. Official registration for the team will be held March 11, 3-5 pm in the neighborhood Community Room.
While many details are still being hammered out, here is what we tentatively expect:
- The CW Torpedoes have been assigned to a division with five other West Cobb County teams, and each team will participate in five weekly swim meets in May and June. Two or three meets will be at “home” and two or three “away” at other neighborhood pools. Meets generally start at 6 p.m. and conclude by 10:30 m.
- Swimmers will be expected to attend swim team practices weekday mornings (usually 8-9 a.m. for 11’s and up; 9-10 a.m. for 10 & unders).
- The registration fee per swimmer is usually around $100 for the first child and a reduced cost for additional children in the family. This registration fee will cover WGSSA registration, coaches’ salaries, ribbons, and
- Swimmers will also need to purchase a two-year team swimsuit and goggles from a local swim equipment vendor. The vendor will attend CW swim team registration sessions, dates to be determined. Swimmers will be able to try suits on for size. The cost is generally around $35 for boys’ suits and $50 for girls’
- Parents of team members will be expected to serve as volunteers. Parents are needed to serve as starters, announcers, timers/judges, concession workers, ribbon writers/scorers, and deck assistants. Help will also be needed with set up, clean up, parking, and planning a year end party/awards ceremony.
- Families of swimmers must be up-to-date with HOA dues in order to participate on the swim team, according to the CW